One small step forward might be to add more support to 'groups' in the
mediawiki codebase.  Groups could help organize the various subcommunities.
 Perhaps consider this a federal system for wikipedia. ;)

I have been experimenting with real-time collaborative editors on
wikipedia.  One question that arises is: how do I find others who are
interested in working on this particular page with me?  Currently there are
a number of ad-hoc methods used.

One could imagine that the participants on a particular article's talk page
consistute a sort of ad hoc "group".  Various wikiprojects are a more
formal group.  But can we think about this more, and come up with better
mediawiki tools to find/discover/join/share/discuss things in our group(s)?
  --scott

(http://cscott.net)