> On 21 August 2014 10:31, Strainu <strain...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> and significantly alter some infoboxes because "it doesn't
>> look good".
>
> I'd not noticed this; can you give examples, please?

It seems this is not the case at en.wp, but take a look at how
infoboxes (and especially coordinates) are displayed at ro.wp and
fr.wp for [[:ro:București]]/[[:fr:Bucarest]]. There might be some
underlying HTML problem that causes the box to move left, but what's
the deal with the decimal coordinates? I thought we were trying to
save bandwitdh?

> I thought this was set in the source code for the main page, see:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MobileFrontend#Configuring_the_main_page
> which would mean that this could easily be fixed if there was consensus.
> However, that documentation may be out of date, since I can't spot any mf-
> ID's in the enwp main page?

Last edit to the main page on the subject is 31 May 2013. I haven't
tried, but I would guess it's out of date.

>>> So - we know there is a definite cost to having all these "navigation
>>> aids"
>>> in articles.  We need to justify their use, instead of simply adding them
>>> by reflex.  So here is where analytics teams can really be useful:  tell
>>> us
>>> whether or not these navboxes are actually being used to go to other
>>> articles.  If they're widely used to leap to the next article, then we
>>> need

You mean on the desktop? Risker, why not talk to Erik Zachte directly
and see if he can do anything withing the privacy policy's boundaries?

>> For me the conclusion would be not that we should drop them altogether in
>> the mobile version (most of them are useful navigation means after all) but
>> that the mobile version should be improved to parse them and to present
>> them as a piece of plain text, not as a template.
>>

> Many of these templates have over 100 links in them; a surprisingly large
> number have "subtemplates" built into them.

You both have a point. I'm sure there are some ways that the HTML code
can get semantic information in order to determine the main links from
such a box and display them.

I'm glad Frederico brought this up (even if it might not have been his
original point, and I apologize for hijacking his thread). If people
agree that the mobile version needs to be "smarter" in deciding what
to parse from the page, we can log some enhancements and push on the
wikitech list to have them at least considered, if not prioritized.

Thanks,
   Strainu