Tim, do you think that this list of all the useful stuff that talk
pages can currently includes things that aren't being done because
they are too advanced for newbie editors or too inconvenient for
veterans?

Regardless, you make a strong argument for keeping a meta-document
that spans threads and/or should be more persistent. A lot of this
stuff seems indispensable to recording decisions and linking to stuff
that backs them up, avoiding constant rehashing of issues. My concern
is how such a documents could be tied to pertinent threads in the
discussion oriented software. Maybe we could create anchors in such a
document that could make it easier for the right sections to be
displayed alongside threads that reference them in the UI.

I know that LT splits a page and allows for normal editing above it,
but threads aren't well connected to content above them and only get
more disconnected with time as they get pushed down. What if we had
anchors and both the discussion and the meta-document acted like they
are in two horizontal or vertical iframes so we could view them at the
same time (with Javascript mojo we don't need to use iframes anymore,
of course)? The mobile experience could be different, since presumably
there is less real estate than on a desktop.

This is a tricky problem to solve from a UX perspective, but it maybe
Tim's right that we don't necessarily have to compromise flexibility
for structure.

,Wil