On 8 September 2014 05:54, Marc A. Pelletier <m...@uberbox.org> wrote:
> And yet, after over a decade of open-ended design through social
> convention, the end result is...  our current talk pages.  Perhaps
> another decade or two will be needed before that document-centric
> architecture gives us a half-decent discussion system?

Marc, I'm not arguing against having a discussion system. In fact I
think having threaded comments happen by default is a great idea that
will make the conversation interface far more usable, both on desktop
and mobile (I agree with Gerard that the mobile editing experience is
dreadful).

The problem I see is with having that discussion system as the 'only'
option, making refactoring of conversations limited and difficult, and
removing the open-ended and flexible platform we currently rely upon,
when several important workflows and goals such as accountability and
building new workflows for projects are based on the well understood
capabilities of a wiki system.

The system I envision as a suitable, modern replacement would be based
on proven enterprise collaboration platforms like Microsoft OneNote or
Atlassian Confluence, which include discussion systems as modules
integrated within the platform. I simply can't see the benefit of
losing the collaboration capabilities of wiki software in favor of
enforced structured discussion, when we can have both.

Now if Erik vision for the deeper than I give him credit for, and he
is able to build a OneNote-like application on top of the suggested
architecture for Flow, I will eat my words with an apology :-)
However, that capability of the system should be better explained so
that we can understand it and discuss its ramifications.