Responding to two comments. Firstly Risker " Newbies have an equally hard time

> editing content, too, and even when they succeed, on many projects they're
> very likely to be reverted and deluged with templated messages in response
> to a good faith attempt.  There is no evidentiary basis to demonstrate that
> new users have a harder time participating in discussion than they do in
> content contribution."

I would go further, reverting newbie edits to talk pages is rare. They may
occasionally need help with indentation or signing, and if they edit a busy
page they may get edit conflicts. But unlike in main space actual reversion is
rare. We do need some system to identify newbie queries that have been left
longest, as queries on article talk pages can linger for a very long time. But
we should not treat the need for improvements on talk pages as being as
pressing as the need to improve the experience for newbies in main space. V/E
will help a little there, though not till it is ready to be deployed. But there
are bigger problems, the amount of edit conflicts suffered by the creators of
new articles and the ongoing train wreck with some of the regulars working to
the unwritten rule that everything must be verified, while the system doesn't
even prompt newbies to add a source.

Re Erik's comment "I'm open to us putting some short term effort into talk

>> page improvements that can be made without Flow -- knowing it's still
>> some time out."

That would be great, there are various Won't fix bugs on Bugzilla that should
be easy to fix. Setting : # and * as paragraph delimiters as far as edit
conflicts are concerned should resolve a lot of the edit conflicts in talk
space. Really low hanging fruit.

Regards

Jonathan Cardy