Liam:

My apologies for the language you noted, it was not our intent to, even
inadvertently, to degrade anyone.  We fully appreciate the abilities of our
community and I know from my meetings with members of our community how
smart and engaged they are in a variety of issues impacting the Wikimedia
movement.

I want to clarify that these Fellows are not auditors.  They will be
working from data as presented by the movement entities. The project has
been designed so that the fellows will be using existing data provided by
movement entities and the Fellows will only be reaching out to movement
entities with clarifying questions.  So there should be no material
increase in staff/volunteer time to provide information for this project.
If this not the case, please let me know.

Best regards,

Garfield

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 11:10 AM, Liam Wyatt <liamwy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Interesting development. Probably a very good idea for transparency and
> good use of the movement's money, and consistency of reporting to make
> things comparable is a great goal. I especially think that for smaller
> chapters there is lots of value in having a dedicated contact person!
>
> But I find the self-description of the Fellows as "an elite group of global
> operatives"[1] a bit degrading to the rest of us...
>
> I presume it's taken a fair while to recruit the team and scope the project
> too (I see one linkedin profile which says they've been working already for
> two months[3]). So, I wonder - did the Chapters who have been allocated to
> each of these new auditors[2] have any notice that this new process was
> being created before it was announced today - so they were able to make any
> other time-commitments without being surprised by a new layer of paperwork?
>
> Also, I presume that the increased amount of staff/volunteer time needed to
> comply with new paperwork will be offset by streamlining this with other
> WMF-compliance paperwork?
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Oolukoya_(WMF)
> [2]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Movement-wide_Financial_Report#Who_We_Are
> [3] http://www.linkedin.com/pub/seyi-olukoya/59/b09/a7
>
> wittylama.com
> Peace, love & metadata
>

> --
> wittylama.com
> Peace, love & metadata

Garfield Byrd
Chief of Finance and Administration
Wikimedia Foundation
415.839.6885 ext 6787
415.882.0495 (fax)
www.wikimediafoundation.org

the sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!

*https://donate.wikimedia.org <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*