Gerard, we hear you.  On the other hand, we have the example of Wikimedia
France, which has recently told us about a highly innovative event that
features community outreach, content creation, editing workshop, and
sufficient fundraising to pay for itself.

We know that, despite the issues of payment processing, several European
chapters have been receiving their national equivalent of Gift Aid for
direct donations, and it is worthwhile for others to look into this and see
if there are opportunities there. (There might not be, because this is
location-specific.)  Some countries have government-supported
opportunities with relatively lightweight application processes to improve
digital content in certain fields, whether photography, literature,
or targeted groups.  Wikidata would not have come to be without external
funding, even though a significant portion of its initial and continued
funding is supported by grants directly from the WMF or as part of the FDC
recommendations.

At the same time, although I believe that chapters (especially those with
budgets in the FDC range) should at least be able to demonstrate that
they've investigated opportunities, I also am aware that in many regions
the opportunities might be very limited, or could require completion of
highly complex documentation with only a small chance of success. (Anyone
thinking that the FDC asks for a lot of documentation has never completed
the paperwork for a typical research grant.)   But chapters are the
organizations best placed to research and analyse their own local
fundraising opportunities, and to figure out which ones are worth pursuing
from both a financial and programmatic point of view.  Fundraising can,
indeed, be expensive.

We do have to keep in mind that this is a big, global movement, the
available financial resources are *not* unlimited (contrary to popular
belief), and that there has to be some sort of evidence that the money
being distributed in large grants is generating demonstrated results within
the movement.  The nature of those results will vary from grantee to
grantee.

Risker/Anne