Hi Eric,

your last line expresses a direction which would enhance the spirit of the
movement in an appropiate way. Let me repeat it: "Imagine a world where you
can take a smartphone or tablet without a contract and immediately connect
to an ever-growing library of free knowledge, without charge."

THIS is a great punchline, a good next big target which could put Wikimedia
in the middle of a stronger and broader global movement. Free Public
Knowledge is also great when you think of the goals of Wikidata -
structured data connected to empower knowledge enabler and facilitators of
Free Education around the world with good data and informations. Free
Public Knowledge is putting the beacon named Wikipedia in front of a great
campaign which would reach out far beyond being the greatest encyclopedia
ever.

It is clear by now that imho it would also help to make something better
out of the flaw which Wikipedia Zero is right now when it comes to net
neutrality. (I'm still a little bit irritated by your rhetoric trickery,
Mike, when calling the usual and established understanding of net
neutrality repeatedly "absolutist". This cheap rhetorical maneuver doesn't
fit you.) It would be good for WMF to admit that with the best intentions a
mistake was made which scale wasn't really thought through before.

Wikipedia Zero is still primarily a marketing stunt for mobile providers
(e.g. Orange) which build up on the great trust in the name "Wikipedia".
Data is data, no user is thinking in terms like "good cause data" and "pure
commercial data" - and this kind of familiarization with data on different
rates (incl. zero rate) is what the mobile providers count on. I consider
activists for other aspects of a free and open web partners in crime and
not some other unrelated guys whose cause I'm willing to trade cheap when
it fits the selfish interests of my brand.

But, as mentioned, there is no sense in looking the stable door after the
horse has bolted - so let's think forward by reflecting activity-oriented
on putting Wikimedia in the middle of a broader movement for all Free
Public Knowledge and reduce ill-concieved partnerships with commercial
players on the way.

best regards

Jens Best

PS: Eric, gimme a moment (aka another later mail) to write about draft of
the definition of Free Public Knowledge (especially from the point of view
of our movement).

@GerardM
I don't wanna narrow your joy about WP0, but the thing with saving
lifes/protecting against ebola is that in neither[1] of the countries (Liberia,
Sierra Leone and Guinea) mentioned by James Heilman Wikipedia Zero is
active. So there is no proof that it wins laurels for that.

[1] according to http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Mobile_partnerships