Allow me to throw in some perspective here, since I think I stand somewhere
between midway and the opposite end of the spectrum vis-à-vis this discussion.

> Wiadomość napisana przez Romaine Wiki <romaine.w...@gmail.com> w dniu 4 sty
> 2015, o godz. 05:21:
>
> Hi Ilario,
>
> As said before, that certain grant requests are submitted late, it doesn't
> mean it is a good idea.
>
> I was also not speaking about WLM organizers alone, but about all
> organizers in general.
> Shutting down the grantmaking for them is highly demotivating. Also when it
> does not effect them directly.

Wikimedia Philippines is still planning its 2015 annual plan, so for us, we
don’t have a lot to lose from grantmaking opportunities lost due to the
Grantmaking team’s focus on the gender gap.  And while I disagree with the
method by which it was done—that we were only informed three weeks in
advance—I’m inclined to believe that this makes affiliates more innovative with
their programs.  If it means securing funding through doing programs that
address the gender gap, then so be it if means expanding our skill set and
helping woman participation in the process.

In addition, we’re exaggerating the impact of the gender gap focus here: note
that Alex’s announcement said that they will focus on other grants either
before February 1 or after April 30.  Them not accepting requests during that
window need not mean that you can’t have a grant request already sitting pretty
on Meta waiting for consideration; I think they were wrong in wording it, but
I’m disinclined to believe that they will simply shoot requests down just
because it fell during that window.

> It is effectively shutting down all projects that should start or are to be
> started in these three months. The Grants page says
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Start : "Supporting mission-allied
> people and organizations around the world."
> This is not supporting, but demotivating, demolishing, discouraging, and
> frustrating the organizing volunteers.
>
> Shutting down the grantmaking gives a strong negative signal to every
> organiser. "Your project is not important enough for the movement", that is
> what this campaign says.

I disagree.  There’s nothing in the grant process that prevents you from
keeping the proposal as a draft until the window lapses, and projects need not
be derailed just because funding can’t be secured between February 1 and April
30.  While I agree that it’s a big inconvenience for affiliates to see their
calendars pushed back because they can’t get funding, I am also disinclined to
believe that the signal this sends is as strong as you think it is.

I’ve organized projects for WMPH, and ultimately since we’re dependent on the
Foundation for our funding, we’ve had to find ways to meet halfway with respect
to when projects ought to be implemented.  For me, so long as the project is
implemented, that’s fine with me regardless of when the project was
implemented.  The important thing here is that we’re forwarding the movement
nonetheless.

Thanks,

Josh

JAMES JOSHUA G. LIM
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
Class of 2013, Ateneo de Manila University
Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

jamesjoshua...@yahoo.com <mailto:jamesjoshua...@yahoo.com> | +63 (915) 321-7582
Facebook/Twitter: akiestar | Wikimedia: Sky Harbor
http://about.me/josh.lim <http://about.me/josh.lim>