We have a vested interest, as a community, in having as diverse a
group of people behind our content as possible, because we have a
diverse group of readers. "People who can't afford a lunch out
whenever they want" is a demographic: a big one, depending on the
country in question. Coming up with statements that editathons go
great when the editor or newcomer in question covers all their
personal costs ignores the massive number of people who cannot afford
to do that and so will not attend. If your reaction to that is
discussions about studies or politically contentious plane tickets
then you've, at best, completely missed the point I was trying to
make.