Dear movement fellows,

Impact is crucial for our movement, and although metrics will always be
imperfect, we must strive to reinvent ourselves and always come up with new
innovative ways of  measuring what we bring to the Wikimedia projects, to
free knowledge, and to human society.

Measuring impact regarding collections of media holds its own challenges
and although we have been focusing on this for a while now, much work still
lies ahead.

We were inspired by the “bytes added” metric, one of the pinnacles of
written content expansion measurement, which goes beyond mere edit count.
The same reasoning holds true for media:a puny upload count cannot come
close to the real awesomeness.

This is why, as we appreciate that size matters, Wikimedia France quality
commitee is proud to introduce its brand new set of metrics: the pixel
count and the quality pixel count − since quality is of firstmost
importance.

You may query the Pixel count metric for your FDC reports as part of our
wm-metrics webapp [1]

Furthermore, an implementation of these new metrics will also ship with our
new new (teasing!) product [2]

As of April 1st 2015 Wikimedia France has supported the upload on Wikimedia
Commons of:

   - 1 229 694 933 639 pixels [3]

   - among those pixels, 22 407 932 851 are quality pixels (18,223512%) [4]

This is only the beginning: next step is the measurement of cute pixels,
encyclopedic pixels and amazing pixels.

Confident in the relevance of these new indicators, we would be delighted
and honored to see the Pixel count integrated in the Global Metrics.

As always we welcome feedback, hugs and pull requests.

Sincerely,
For the quality committee of Wikimedia France
Caroline, Jean-Fred, Pierre-Selim and Petit Tigre

[1] https://tools.wmflabs.org/wm-metrics/fdc
[2]
https://github.com/Commonists/MediaCollectionDB/commit/4c2ab42f83e894c9dd317038ad025abdeb946f6e
[3] http://quarry.wmflabs.org/query/2882