David,

I don't know of any specific rules about what's allowed in Phabricator. I
*do* know that a number of teams at the WMF use Phabricator for non-coding
tasks—for example, see T89355 [1], T97004 [2], T100918 [3], and T101207 [4].

I speak only for myself, but I really like the idea of community members
using Phab to track Wikimedia-related projects like surveys and book
scanning. I can't see any downsides, other than the frightening possibility
of running out of numbers. (I do think category cleanup on a specific wiki
would be better tracked on the wiki itself with maintenance templates, but
I don't feel very strongly about it.)

[1]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T89355
[2]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T97004
[3]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T100918