It's true that events *can* get whitelisted, but this is a very
complex method. It relies on the organiser knowing the IP ranges in
advance, and knowing who to contact at WMF - and on WMF having the
time to deal with it. It would rapidly break down if we needed to use
this method for every small training session. (I used to do two or
three workshops a week...)

Andrew.

On 19 June 2015 at 19:16, Benjamin Lees <emufarm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Events sometimes get whitelisted for account creation purposes:
> https://noc.wikimedia.org/conf/throttle.php.txt
> The exceptions there there could be made to set $wgCaptchaWhitelistIP too.
>
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 8:54 AM, WereSpielChequers
> <werespielchequ...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> alternatively perhaps we could whitelist certain domains as likely to be
>> reliable sources and unlikely to be spam.
> There actually already is a whitelist ($wgCaptchaWhitelist in
> https://noc.wikimedia.org/conf/CommonSettings.php.txt).
> Unfortunately, as far as I know, there's no on-wiki way to change it,
> but you could always compile a list of domains and submit it through
> Phabricator.

- Andrew Gray
  andrew.g...@dunelm.org.uk