Heh, It's times like these I realize I'm still in a minority here. As one
of the few non-american/european readers of the list, my perspective,
differs on this issue.

I don't know what people imagine when they think of the conditions in these
refugee camps. Allow me to paint a picture using commons [1][2] - These
places have some of the highest population density anywhere in the world.
Most have make-shift housing - tents or shanty, electricity - which is
mostly for a single light or to charge an old phone - is unreliable, water
in tankers has to be collected in jars and carried back[4]. Sanitation,
roads - if such things exist, are equally troublesome. The designated
monthly food vouchers/allowance, if they can get, is already being cut [3].
Add to that some petty crime and occasional police clashes. There's always
the constant fear of outliving their host countries welcome, and being
thrown out, left homeless. All that remains is just a harsh desert, a few
sandstorms.

These are people fleeing their homes from a civil war, with no end in
sight. Food, water, shelter, safety and their own dignity has to rank
higher as a major concern. I'm not saying that we can't help, just that we
figure lower in priorities from avoiding a civil war, genocide, to just
surviving - things are far from stable at these places still, sadly. These
refugees don't even have a legal status in most places, when they do it is
only temporary.

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 1:15 AM, Leinonen Teemu <teemu.leino...@aalto.fi>
wrote:

> Hello people,
>
> Just an idea. Number of Syrian refugees is over 4,000,000 people, mostly
> residing in Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq.[1] Refugee camps are set in
> all in these countries.[2]

Between ISIS and kurdish forces, Iraq and Turkey are likely to have some
instability in these camps. Turkey with the highest number of refugees has
concentrated them at overcrowded refugee camps at borders while denying
them refugee status. Lebanon refuses to set up any refugee camps, Jordan
might have some of the highest density population center on earth, at one
of its two camps. While the other gulf states have outright refused these
refugees.

> Internet-in-a-Box[3] is a a WiFI-device with "Wikipedia in 37 languages, a
> library of 40,000 e-books, most of the world's open source software and
> source code, hundreds of hours of instructional videos, and world-wide
> mapping down to street level.”

This device sounds like a portable hotspot with an attached storage.

I don't understand however, what device people would use to access this
hotspot? ios, android- smartphones aren't as common in that part of the
world yet. And you would still need electricity to charge those devices,
all that remains is the language barrier...

Anyway, I think we already have something better - Wikipedia Zero. It was
designed for very similar situations. We just need some sort of a carrier
relationship to avail free access for everyone with a phone in those
region, I seem to recall a light text only version too that would work on
any phone. The carriers might even be receptive to the idea, if approached
correctly - Kul might know.

Regards
Theo

[1]