Buying a photo, when we have ready access to massive amounts of freely
usable content, would be quite unacceptable and a misuse of funds, no
matter the amount of the funds. I hope someone can actually clarify what
happened here.

Also, the banner pops up, comes down, and covers most of the page. That's
really not acceptable. Wikimedia should follow acceptable ad practices,
which means a small and STATIC banner, not something that moves, shouts, or
otherwise interferes with page content. That should be done even if it
makes it less effective and raises less money, just to address the
inevitable butbutbut.