On Sun, Dec 20, 2015 at 11:29 PM, geni <geni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20 December 2015 at 15:59, Andreas Kolbe <jayen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Can you tell me just whose interests it serves if re-users do not have to
> > indicate that the data they're showing their users come from Wikidata?
> Max
> > Klein mused that the big search engines might be paying for Wikidata "to
> > remove a blemish on their perceived omniscience", because they can
> present
> > Wikidata content as though they had compiled it themselves.[1] That is at
> > least a plausible line of thought; but whom else does it serve?
> >

> Anyone who doesn't want to spend way too much of their time worrying about
> copyright law.

Re-users are very, very unlikely indeed to spend "way too much of their
time worrying" about, say, having to add the words "Source: Wikidata.
(Disclaimer.)" to their websites -- hyperlinked to wikidata.org and the
Wikidata disclaimer.

It's a one-minute job.

And that's really all you need to keep the public informed, and provide
them with an instant link to the wiki the data comes from -- so they can
view it there, understand the history of how it was created, and make an
input.

Wikis are about openness and participation, not about presenting the public
with faits accomplis.