"imagine a world where every human being can freely share in the sum of all
knowledge" - forget that we can make a quid by charging now as we are the
best and only remaining  encyclopedia

   - suppose its time stop imagining anything beyond a dollar sign,
   - WMF could start by charging Google for WikiData access
   - millions of contributors and benefactors over the last 15 years have
   worked to create and support that  idea

those be my perspective, now my thinking is not so great and definitely not
repeatable even on this list

Monetizing Wikimedia, premium access mumble mumble mumble,
cough....................

On 16 January 2016 at 17:23, Pete Forsyth <petefors...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm interested to hear some perspectives on the following line of thinking:
>
> Lisa presented some alternative strategies for revenue needs for the
> Foundation, including the possibility of charging for premium access to the
> services and APIs, expanding major donor and foundation fundraising,
> providing specific services for a fee, or limiting the Wikimedia
> Foundation's growth. The Board emphasized the importance of keeping free
> access to the existing APIs and services, keeping operational growth in
> line with the organization's effectiveness, providing room for innovation
> in the Foundation's activities, and other potential fundraising strategies.
> The Board asked Lila to analyze and develop some of these potential
> strategies for further discussion at a Board meeting in 2016.
> Source: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Minutes/2015-11-07
> -Pete[[User:Peteforsyth]]

GN.
President Wikimedia Australia