From: Wikimedia-l [mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of
Andrea Zanni
Sent: Saturday, 16 January 2016 2:08 PM
To: Craig Franklin; Wikimedia Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Monetizing Wikimedia APIs

Do you think?

I'm genuinely not sure.
I think that the difference in scale from what Google does with our data and
the general developer/researcher is pretty big. One million times big.
I actually think that "over-the-top" players like Google do actually exploit
free licensed materials like Wikipedia... I mean, their Knowledge Vault is
probably 100 bigger than Wikidata, but they are not supposed to share it. It's
an internal asset. And it's not matter of CC0 or CCBYSA:
they can keep it hidden.

There very, very few players who can exploit commons like this: do we need/have
the right to address this? Is it a problem?

Aubrey