> To share some context of the discussion the board had around this -- I
> don't think the minutes give enough detail. APIs -- as we are freely and
> rapidly creating them today are important, but are not quite at the core of
> the issue we are facing.
>
> Today Wikimedia is the largest internet channel for open free knowledge in
> the world. But the trends are against us. We have to face them together. We
> have to have the answers on how. The strategic discussion next week will
> help guide us.
>
> Over the last year we looked at the trends in Wikimedia traffic, internet
> as a whole and user behaviors. It took a lot of research. When we started
> the process we have not had solid internal data about unique visitors or
> human vs. crawler usage on the site. For a top 10 website this is a big
> issue; it hurts our ability to make smart decisions. We've learned a lot.
>
> We found data that supports Leigh's point -- our permissive license
> supports our core value, we are (I know I am) here for free knowledge. Yet
> it allows others to use the content in ways that truncates, simplifies and
> reduces it. More importantly this type of reuse separates our readers from
> our site, disconnecting readers from our contributors (no edit buttons) and
> ultimately reduces traffic. Is this a problem? I'd like to hear if people
> on this list see it as such. And how we sustain contributions over time.

Isn't that the point of using free licence (not NC, nor ND) ? I guess we do
so
to allow people/company/the world to reuse our content  the way they want.

If we have problem attracting people to our plateform, then the problem is
not
about our API, it's about attractiveness and maybe we should focus on our
products.

I might be wrong, but what I understand when I read this discussion or the
board
minutes, is that we want to increase traffic because it's our best known way
to raise money (correlation with the endowement ?). This looks like a wrong
reason to not respect our values.

I do understand that such a discussion can reach the board, it's healthy to
list
lots of different solutions, that said I don't think it aligns with the
core values of
our movement.

> Meanwhile estimated half of our hosting is used to support crawlers that
> scan our content. This has an associated cost in infrastructure, power,
> servers, employees to support some well-funded organizations. The content
> is used for a variety of commercial purposes, sometimes having nothing to
> do with putting our contributor's work in front of more readers. Still, we
> can say this is tangentially supportive of our mission.

Isn't that part of sharing the sum of human knowledge ?

Pierre-Selim