Although  "Tech innovations which try to replace quality human editing are
not a good idea."  Tech innovations which can adequately replace the need
for quality human editing when that editing is not sufficiently available
can be a very good idea, So  can tech innovations which try can assist low
quality human editing to become of higher quality. So can tech innovations
which merely replicate what some people can do at a high quality, but most
people cannot. I saw little need to replace the wikitext editor because I
have worked enough in html for that to be as natural as using a keyboard,
but it is easy to forget the needs of those who have only worked through
WSIWYG interfaces. I find the talk page system quite intuitive, but I'm
aware that many others don't share this feeling.

The difficulty is in differentiating these situations, and I haver seen
here as in many situation elsewhere that the people who develop technology
are willing to use it even when  imperfect and badly documented, and even
pride in their ability to do so. This was certainly true in my own
profession, where we librarians never understood why most of the public
found navigating our manual and early automated system so difficult.

I share in detail Risker's feeling about the visual editor in particular: I
use it now, and the key factor which improved it for me was the recent
addition of the ability  to go back and forth between the two editing modes
without losing work, so I can   use the strengths of each of the as needed.
(But  I am aware of the   pressure to release *something* to the public
after the very slow development; that original slow development was perhaps
the root problem.)

David Goodman

DGG at the enWP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DGG