Hi Josh,

I agree there are solid improvements to be made with respect to recruiting
of our trustees, and with partnering with our community.  Perhaps the
election committee can play a role in checking out the finalists, for
example.

On-boarding trustees and leadership is a critical process, during which it
can be so easy to make unexpected mistakes. For trustees and leadership
coming from outside of our movement, being aligned with our vision and our
values is simply the first step in the process. As I have learned, from
there it is a long and difficult journey to learn what matters *most* to
our diverse community, and to align those values with the Foundation.  I am
still learning, and will never stop learning, growing and adapting.
Similarly, when trustees and leadership come from the *within* the
movement, they must adapt to and grok new perspectives, and see with new
lenses.

An essential part of improving our governance involves welcoming our
incoming trustees and leadership, integrating them into our movement, and
providing support and guidance as they take their important first steps.

I know this is something our trustees are actively thinking about.

Lila

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 4:04 AM, Josh Lim <jamesjoshua...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thank you, Patricio, for the heads-up.  I’m sure that it must’ve been
> difficult for everyone, especially those on the Board.
>
> It was very honorable of Arnnon to step down in deference to the
> community, and I hope that while we may be indignant at his past actions,
> we can continue to find places for people in our community who may show an
> interest in what we do but to who we don’t always see eye-to-eye on our
> values.  While I still think that this episode will generate a whole lot of
> lessons for us to learn from, I hope that Arnnon will continue to engage
> with the movement in a meaningful way even though he is no longer a part of
> the Board.  Thank you for taking heed of the community, and I hope that
> despite what may be a rude awakening, that you will find your place among
> us, somehow, somewhere in the movement.
>
> Hopefully, now that this episode has come to a close, we can finally begin
> the process of healing and figuring out what went wrong.  There’s still a
> lot of things left unaccounted for, and I hope that after this, the Board
> will continue to build on that momentum by doing the right thing and
> helping the community understand what on Earth happened over the last few
> weeks so we can finally move forward.
>
> Josh
>
> > Wiadomość napisana przez Patricio Lorente <patricio.lore...@gmail.com>
> w dniu 28.01.2016, o godz. 04:52:
> >
> > Dear All,
> >
> > Throughout the discussion about the appointment of Arnnon Geshuri to the
> > Board of Trustees, the Board has carefully listened to you and discussed
> > internally. Earlier today, Arnnon decided to step down from the Board. To
> > paraphrase his words, he doesn't want to be a distraction for the
> important
> > discussions that the community and the Foundation need to face in the
> times
> > to come. We want to thank Arnnon for his ongoing commitment and for
> helping
> > us to move forward.
> >
> > The Board Governance Committee is working to improve and update our
> > selection processes before we fill the vacancy left by Arnnon’s
> departure.
> > We are sorry for the distress and confusion this has caused to some in
> our
> > community, and also to Arnnon.
> >
> > Patricio and Alice
> >
> > ----
> >
> > Patricio Lorente
> > Chair, Board of Trustees
> >
> > Alice Wiegand
> > Vice Chair, Board of Trustees
> > --
>
> JAMES JOSHUA G. LIM
> Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
> Class of 2013, Ateneo de Manila University
> Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines
>
> jamesjoshua...@yahoo.com <mailto:jamesjoshua...@yahoo.com> | +63 (915)
> 321-7582
> Facebook/Twitter: akiestar | Wikimedia: Sky Harbor
> http://about.me/josh.lim <http://about.me/josh.lim>

Lila Tretikov
Wikimedia Foundation

*“Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.”*