Pete,

According to his Signpost piece three weeks ago[1], James Heilman emailed
the board in mid-October about the Knight Foundation grant to warn the
board, and I quote –

*"4) There is a serious lack of transparency around this new "sister
project". This has not been discussed with our communities as far as I am
aware. Please correct me if I am wrong. As such it has the potential to
worsen WMF / community relations. Starting a new sister site without
community discussion is not the wiki way."*

No board member has come forward to deny that James sent this email. In the
same piece, James also said:

*"I emailed the board list offering to write up an overview of these ideas
for the Signpost, which was met with negative comments by some board
members."*

Nobody has denied that that happened, either. Now, Jimmy said on-wiki[2]
two days ago, and I quote:

*"I didn't see anything particularly unusual or controversial about the
concepts being presented to us about the evolving ideas around improving
search and discover, and I simply assumed that there was community
discussion and consultation **[...] had we **understood that a disconnect
was going on, and that the community was not being consulted, we absolutely
would have pushed harder for community engagement sooner. As it is, I think
most likely other board members, like me, simply assumed that it was being
talked about and not treated as some kind of super top secret thing. Is
that helpful?"*

Can you help me figure out how Jimmy and the board could have "assumed"
that there was community discussion and consultation about the Knowledge
Engine project when James Heilman

1. had started a board discussion in mid-October specifically to point out
that there was no community discussion and consultation,

2. had offered to write an article for the Signpost about the project to
inform the community,

3. was told by his colleagues on the board that the idea of a Signpost
article was not welcome?

I'm finding it impossible to reconcile. And like Sarah, I am struck by the
fact that so far, everything James Heilman has said about this turned out
to be true.

Andreas

[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2016-02-03/In_focus
[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Jimbo_Wales&diff=707285756&oldid=707282252
Quote in full:
*"The board has broadly encouraged open discussion and disclosure, and I'm
unaware of anyone individually giving her advice to hide anything about
long term strategy. Going into slightly more depth than that, I didn't see
anything particularly unusual or controversial about the concepts being
presented to us about the evolving ideas around improving search and
discover, and I simply assumed that there was community discussion and
consultation about it. The grander concept which, as I now understand,
Damon was pitching via cloak-and-dagger PGP encrypted files (one employee
told me that he had to give his PGP key on a USB stick because Damon didn't
trust the public keyservers), didn't really get traction and was quickly
abandoned. By the time of the board meeting in Mexico City, we specifically
discussed that this would not be anything like a "Google competitor". As to
the exact details of every single discussion with funders, obviously the
board is not privy to those as a practical matter. Certainly had we
understood that a disconnect was going on, and that the community was not
being consulted, we absolutely would have pushed harder for community
engagement sooner. As it is, I think most likely other board members, like
me, simply assumed that it was being talked about and not treated as some
kind of super top secret thing. Is that helpful?--Jimbo Wales
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jimbo_Wales>(talk
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Jimbo_Wales#top>) 23:25, 27
February 2016 (UTC)"*