Dealing with COI is more than just declaring it.  It also needs to be
managed.  Denny's COI issues were apparently somewhat self-managed to a
certain extent, but please pay mind to this part of what he wrote:

I discussed with Jan-Bart, then chair, what is and what is not appropriate to
pursue as a member of the Board. I understood and followed his advice, but
it was frustrating. It was infuriatingly limiting.

It was apparently in this conversation that a plan to manage Denny's COI
was laid out.  Apparently after he joined the board.  And apparently not
something that he was at all happy with.

Denny also talked about catching lots of flack due to his ties to Google.
Publishing a COI management plan would help allay those concerns. (Not put
them totally away, but at least provide some comfort to those who are
concerned that the board is aware of the COI and is managing it)