> Gerard Meijssen wrote:

> I categorically oppose paying people for content. Enabling them to create
> content is different. Citations is content and its quality is relevant but
> only that.

Why categorically? We already pay hundreds of people for work in support of
the projects, including reader-facing administrative and content far more
prominent than citations. We encourage Wikipedian in Residence programs
where third parties pay for all kinds of content development. The PR
editing guidelines explicitly recognize that paid content happens anyway,
we can't control it, but we can offer best practices. We support editing
assigned as part of academic class requirements.

What reason is there to flatly rule out paying people to find citations
before measuring the quality and cost/benefit ratio of doing so with a
variety of both incentive payment models and managers?