I've been thinking about this situation.

I am grateful that the goal was met early.

As much as these new goals are nice, they should have been included in
the original target amount if WMF said or implied that the campaign
would stop when a specific amount of money was raised.

It's especially uncomfortable for me that I'm hearing a lot of
interest in WMF in promoting Wikipedia's principles of verifiability
and neutrality in fundraising, when WMF in its fundraising said one
thing and then goes off to do something else. Imagine what would
happen if I received a grant from WMF for purpose X and then decided
to do Y with it without getting advance permission from WMF. That
wouldn't go over very well. I appreciate that budgets and timelines of
projects are difficult to estimate correctly and that project scopes
change, but there are limits to the flexibility.

While I like the new goals, at a minimum the text of the campaign
should be changed to reflect that the original goal was reached and
that WMF is asking for additional funds above the original goal. My
preference would be that the campaign be stopped because WMF should
prioritize integrity above expedience; WMF has other opportunities to
raise additional funds from other sources, WMF has considerable
reserves, and I can't see that there is a critical need to continue
this particular fundraising campaign. When WMF tells its donors
something WMF should make every reasonable effort to adhere to what it
said it would do.

Pine