From: Wikimedia-l [mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of
Lisa Gruwell
Sent: Friday, 16 December 2016 8:05 PM
To: Wikimedia Mailing List
Subject: [Wikimedia-l] English Fundraiser Update

Hi everyone,

As most of you know, we run our English-language online fundraiser on Wikipedia
every year in December. It’s our biggest fundraiser of the year.
During this time we raise the bulk of funds to support our operating budget to
support the projects, fund community efforts around the world, and run the
Wikimedia Foundation.

This year, we are happy to report we’ve reached our goal of US$25 million in
record time. This is a testament to the importance of Wikimedia and how much
support we have from people all over the world.

Given this momentum, we believe that it would be wise and worthwhile to
continue to fundraise more in the month of December, for the following
reasons:

1. While we have reached our goal for the December campaign, we have not yet
reached our fundraising goal for Fiscal Year 2016-17 (July 2016 - July 2017).

Continuing the English fundraiser gives us security and flexibility through the
end of the fiscal year. It allows us to have a less aggressive banner schedule
in coming months, which gives us time for more research and better localization.

2. We have clear programmatic uses for additional funds.

We have some important projects that could use additional funds and are ready
to proceed. We plan to direct additional funds to the following work:

   1.

   The buildout of an additional caching center, to improve site
   performance for users across Asia and Oceania [1].
   2.

   Investment in additional support for structured data on Wikimedia
   Commons and improved integration with the Wikidata roadmap [2].
   3.

   Support for community health initiatives, including additional support
   for the Community Engagement team [3].
   4.

   Support for an inclusive and truly global movement strategy process [4].
   5.

   Growing the endowment in order to secure our future [5].

You can find more information about each of these areas of work below.

We have chosen these projects because they directly support our mission and
respond to the needs of Wikimedia communities and users. We also believe these
investments are investments in our future: support for a diverse global
community, increased resourcing for sister projects, a healthier community
culture, a shared direction for the future of the movement, and security for
our mission in perpetuity.

Here is what we will do: We intend to continue with the banners for a few more
days. We would then take them down over the Christmas holiday, before making an
end-of-year push in the final couple days of the year. (Many people choose to
give at the very end of the year, and they are expecting to hear from us as
usual -- so it is an opportunity to give people who plan to give the easiest
means to participate).

We’ve been following the conversations on this list about the fundraiser and
the target. On Wednesday, we sent this recommendation to our Board of Trustees,
who were broadly supportive of this course of action. Today, we are sending it
to you. We believe we can make good use of the funds in the coming year,
without additional unsustainable commitments into coming fiscal years. It is
fiscally responsible and programmatically sound. The additional work
strengthens our movement, and the additional funds make these efforts possible.

We welcome your questions and feedback.

Best regards,

Lisa Seitz Gruwell and Jaime Villagomez