Objective evidence should always override hypothesis, opinion, bullshit and
propaganda.
Cheers,

-----Original Message-----
From: Wikimedia-l [mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of
Gerard Meijssen
Sent: Friday, February 3, 2017 10:52 PM
To: Wikimedia Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Politics

Hoi,
Let me ask a question. What trumps what; "neutral point of view" or sources.
When objectively it has been established, given proper scientific practice,
that certain things are true for instance "the evolution theory", a theory that
many generations of scientists have established, describing how it works and
interconnections with observable fact. What do you do when someone says "I do
not believe it" and asks for a neutral point of view?

What do you say when employees of the Wikimedia Foundation no longer can come
to their head quarters, do you call it observable fact or do you call it
politics because it is the consequence of a new president of the United States
of America?

What am I to think when people call in doubt when we are told by the main man
of the Wikimedia Foundation that this severely impacts our movement and we are
told that she can not say so because some volunteers feel that they need to be
consulted. Well, to be honest, I do not give a fuck and I applaud Katherine
Maher for speaking out in a timely manner. When someone is to censure her, it
is the board who can do so and I strongly doubt that this will ever happen.

When someone like Jerry Falwell Jr is to head an education task force. I wonder
how this is possible. To be honest, I fear for what we will stand for. I fear
for the relevance of all the science and students in the future of the United
States. I doubt very much that the United States will remain relevant because
of this and the unfortunate tendency of "alternative facts".

Really, I am not party to US politics. I am part of the Wikimedia movement and
there is imho no room for alternative facts. These alternative facts stand in
contrast to observable facts and scientific practice including the use of
sources. They have nothing to do with Neutral point of View. At most
"alternative facts" are not worth more than a paragraph at the bottom that
includes a rebuttal.
Thanks,
       GerardM