Hi Gnagarra,

(in case others try to open the same link unsuccessfully as well: this one
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Requests_for_comment/AppropriatelyLicensed>should
work)
The discussion is from 2013, and good to look back at indeed.

I don't disagree that there may be occasions where legal action is the most
reasonable approach. Maybe it would be better to define a 'best practice'
in that field as a community, a path that we consider commonly accepted? It
is really the (perceived?) excesses that triggered this discussion, I
think, not the typical wikimedian that tries to get credit where credit is
due.

Respect may indeed be the term that should take center stage. It is fine
that people expect reusers to respect the terms - but I guess some may have
a disagreement what 'respect' really means, and whether or not it can be
accomplished by hefty 'penalties' and fearmongering.

Lodewijk