Hi all -

Wanted to follow up on my message from last Thursday, March 2nd.[1] As
detailed, we are making changes to the Annual Report site that should be
reflected today.[2]

Per suggestions we are exploring randomization of the facts displayed in
the index page carousel. The ordering on the Consider the Facts page will
be updated to begin, as discussed, with "Wikipedia is updated almost 350
times a minute". [3]

I also want to share that in adding citations to the "One in six people
visited a foreign country in 2016" fact, I followed SJ's advices and
emailed the UNWTO to explicitly confirm their 1186 million international
tourist statistic.[4] This morning I received a response from Ruth Gomez
Sobrino, Media Officer stating "Yes, this is true….and it will be 1,800 in
2030." So we are keeping this fact as is, and adding a citation note to add
proper context.

Thanks,

Zack

[1] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2017-March/086699.html

[3] https://annual.wikimedia.org/2016/consider-the-facts.html

[4] http://www.e-unwto.org/doi/pdf/10.18111/9789284418145

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 11:47 PM, James Salsman <jsals...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rogol Domedonfors wrote:
> >
> > Do you believe truth and accuracy are to be found only
> > at one ppint on the spectrum of political belief?
>
> There is a very strong correlation which has, since November, become
> much stronger. Compare for example:
>
> http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/ (16% "True" or
> "Mostly true") with
>
> http://www.politifact.com/personalities/barack-obama/ (48% "True" or
> "Mostly true.")
>
> > Do you believe that facts about (how the world is) are
> > identical with beliefs about (how the world ought to be)?
>
> No, but if people around the world are misled because we fail in our
> mission to collect, develop, and disseminate educational content
> effectively, then they are likely to have much different goals than if
> they were able to access accurate information.

Zachary McCune
Global Audiences
Wikimedia Foundation

zmcc...@wikimedia.org