Dariusz,

What is the point of spending the funds frugally if our mission is not
accomplished? Why do we need to compare an event of this magnitude to a
small chapter?

The money is there to be used, not to sit on top of it without knowing what
to do with it. If the WMF doesn't know what to do with it, at least it
should go back to the community in the form of grants like this one. And if
that is not feasible, then it should be given back to donnors. And if that
is not feasible, then we should stop taking so much money because it seems
that we don't need it. Or do we?

Cheers,
Micru

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 8:02 PM, Dariusz Jemielniak <dar...@alk.edu.pl>
wrote:

> hi David,
>

> On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 7:52 PM, David Cuenca Tudela <dacu...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Recently the review for the Wikidata conference grant application has
> > started, and I have complained that the funds allocated are insuficient
> > cover the needs of the grants. The requested amount for the grants was
> > 36,000 EUR, but in my opinion that should be at least 72,000 EUR.
> >

> You realize that this is pretty much what an annual budget of a small
> Wikimedia chapter is, right?
>

> > I have the feeling that the WMF is sitting on a pile of money just giving
> > breadcrumbs to the community, and the community has to suffer in silence
> > about this stinginess.
> >

> The WMF, just as the movement, has a responsibility to our donors, to spend
> the money wisely and frugally. We surely do not always do so, but we try.
>

> > Why are there two standards? One standard seems to be that everything
> that
> >
> the WMF needs to allocate can go unsupervised, whereas another standard
> > seems to apply to community activities where every penny is so supervised
> > that it becomes a pain in the ass to organize anything big.
> >

> The WMF's spending is actually reviewed and commented on by the community
> and the FDC.
>

> > The Wikidata Conference needs more funds to be a success and I think that
> > in the grand scheme of things, the money requested is just peanuts
> compared
> > to the money that the WMF has collected from donors.
> >

> I believe we have a responsibility to treat our donor's contributions with
> respect and care. I don't think that 70k Euro is peanuts, and rarely you
> will find any foundation or NGO considering such an amount to be
> insignificant.
>
>  best,
>
> dariusz

Etiamsi omnes, ego non