On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 5:04 AM, James Heilman <jmh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> IMO we need to work on the issue of undisclosed paid editing from a number
> of different sides:
>
> 1) We need to get the word out to the wider world that paying someone to
> write your Wikipedia article is inappropriate. We also need to publicly
> state which companies have been banned / blocked from editing Wikipedia for
> breach of our policies. This will hopefully direct people away from these
> companies if they search for a company to hire.

How effective can this possibly be? That companies hire paid Wikipedia
editors is old news and what would have been huge scandals about it
ten years ago don't make headlines today. Setting up a name-and-shame
system would simply lead to an arms race with paid editors offering
premiums for stealth measures. That can't be what anyone wants.

> 2) We need to improve detection. Part of this may include running more CUs
> when concerns are present, AI to pick up the pattern of paid editing /
> spamming, and creating a group of functionaries to address private details
> pertaining to UPE. Improving CU tools would also be useful.

This is another arms race that we can't win. VMs make even the most
sophisticated fingerprinting easily avoidable, and paid editors
already use per-account port forwarding to bespoke proxies on
residential ISP customers. As a machine learning task, I do not
believe this is feasible.

Are you opposed to the idea of a separate organization to address paid
advocacy for any particular reason?