James

Certainly.  When the probability of last year's fundraising effort
generating more income than had been expected emerged, there was a
discussion here about how that "surplus" might be used.  There were some
suggestions for using it to directly assist the members of the volunteer
community in their work of contributing content -- such as funding books,
on- and off-line library subscriptions, for the content contributors -- or
improving the contributing environment -- such as hiring more devs for
community tech projects -- or building the community -- such as extra
funding for community events.  That money, once gone, would be gone
forever, and there is the risk that further donations would not be
forthcoming at the same rate.  The alternative, which was adopted, was to
give it to the Endowment to generate a permanent income which might be used
to fund such acitivities in the future.  That money once in the Endowment
is, presumably, always in the Endowment, and the income can be relied on to
a reasonable extent.

The Board has chosen to favour long-term stability over short-term content
contribution.  That is clearly their prerogative, but it is a choice, and a
choice that affects the community her and now.  It seems reasonable to ask
the Board to explain to the community, who provide the content, and whose
work sustains the entire mission, and which ultimately motivates people to
make such generous donations, why, given that opportunity, they did not see
it as so important to give them more in the way of direct help in
contributing that content and building that community.

Rod