-----Original Message-----
From: Wikimedia-l [mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of
Gerard Meijssen
Sent: Sunday, 27 August 2017 8:25 AM
To: Wikimedia Mailing List

Hoi,
I was invited to positively give my opinion about the Wikimedia mailinglist and
its use by one of the list managers.

So the first thing to consider is what is the list for. This is largely a given
because of its name; it is to discuss things that are primarily concerned with
"Wikimedia" both as a movement and as an organisation. It is not about
Wikipedia in general, it has its own list; wikipedia-l, and there are even
lists for language specific Wikipedias.

The topic of Wikimedia makes it very much a macro or high level. It follows
that many of the subjects that are not topical elsewhere have there proper home
on this list. When a post transcends a local list because there is a high level
consideration, Wikimedia-l is also the right venue.

Some topics that are of interest to me and are high level are: the multi
linguality of our projects and its support. As a consequence the lack of
funding and interest in other languages. As a movement we agree on the need to
consider the gender gap. However there are other diversity issues that do not
get attention. When quality improvements are possible in multiple projects, the
discussion about this starts here.

What I have found is that this whole notion of the purpose of this list is
lost. When a topic raised on the list is answered with high level arguments, it
is easily seen as "highjacking". That is normal because from a sociological
point of view, high level considerations and low level considerations often
work in different directions (think Coleman).

Then there is another consideration; intent. The objective of this list is to
discuss ways whereby we can understand and improve what is happening in our
movement. For me it follows that when it is known for a list member to actively
undermine our foundation, he has no place here. That *is *the kind of noise we
can do without. When someone is punished for having a point of view that aims
to improve what we do but has a position that is not the flavour of the month,
it is a different story. The list itself has a problem when these to
considerations are not part of the management of the list.

The current proposals will not improve the Wikimedia-l because it is
restrictive in its approach. It is what some people may want, a lower volume.
But others like myself have weaned themselves of Meta because it is such a time
sink. There are at this time other platforms as well where people obstruct
(imho) probably with good intentions but without understanding of the arguments
that it has become virtually impossible to come to a consensus anyway. Floating
arguments on Wikimedia-l is one way to get a traction, actively working towards
the hoped for outcome and blogging makes it complete for me.

With the current restrictions proposed, I do not feel safe. There is no longer
room to reflect on arguments. There is no longer room to reply because of this
arbitrary limitation to post.

Remember, this list is to make a positive difference for our movement. Few
posts only allow for making statements and not for discussions. Many of the
arguments put forward are arguably wrong even detrimental to what we do.
Thanks,
      GerardM

---
http://www.avg.com