On 18 October 2017 at 18:32, Brian Wolff <bawo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Fae wrote:
>>Does the minus symbol in "-60.0%" mean anything? Being a retention
>>percentage, I do not understand how it can be negative unless
>>potential volunteers are getting rejected at the door before they can
>>sign-up. Could that be corrected?
>
> My understanding is that this means that the rentention percentage was
> 60% (or is it percentage points?) less than it was this time last
> year.
>
> So its now 5%, but this time last year it was 12%.
>
> --
> bawolff

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I have a background as a
mathematician, but that report with second-order numbers had me foxed.

Now I think I understand the stats, I probably correctly appreciate
that whatever actions were taken in the last 12 months to retain
volunteers were not "non-successes", they are super fantastic
management team learning points for the coming year...

Suggestion, throw away the current plan and rather than using findings
to create incremental improvement,[1] try something completely
different before all the wheels fall off. I look forward to seeing
some serious radical initiatives.

Links:
1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog

Thanks,