Hi James,

I finally found time to read the whole article carefully. It is a very well
done article and study, in my opinion.

I have one remark/question. Since the study was conducted over a length of
time (April 2014 to December 2016), was the data analyzed to see if the
increase in the results of good answers in the posttest was higher later
during the study (or not) since Wikipedia (and maybe UpToDate, I am not
familiar with that resource) evolves with time? Maybe even students who
participated in the first iteration of this study went after to improve the
related Wikipedia articles, thus obviously having an impact on the results
since the information about the specific questions that you retained for
the MCQ were "directly" answered on Wikipedia. Is this something that was
considered? I do not see that consideration in the discussion section of
the article.

Thank you,

JP

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 4:37 AM, James Heilman <jmh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That bit of the paper could have been a bit clearer. I simple
> downloaded 100 questions at random from a website that hosts lists of
> exam question. Am checking with Samir regarding if he did any further
> selection beyond that.
>
> James
>
> On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 2:30 AM, pajz <pajzm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 31 October 2017 at 17:09, James Heilman <jmh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Full study available under an open license at
> >> https://mededu.jmir.org/2017/2/e20/
> >

> > If one gets to chose the questions and assemble the questionnaire then
> > shown to all study participants, I would submit that more or less
> arbitrary
> > study results can be generated by, consciously or subconsciously, picking
> > the "right" questions. Curiously, the two people that "reviewed" the
> > questions here were "a Wikipedia editor and administrator," and a
> > "long-term volunteer editor and administrator of Wikipedia" and "founder
> of
> > [...] the Wiki Project Med Foundation."
> >
> > Not being negative or anything, but if you're trying to scientifically
> > evaluate whether a given exam prep book improves students' grades, would
> > you let the editors of the book prepare the test exam?
> >
> > Best,
> > Patrik

> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Jean-Philippe Béland

[image: Wikimedia Canada] Vice-président — Wikimédia Canada
<https://ca.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page?uselang=fr>, chapitre national
soutenant Wikipédia
Vice president — Wikimedia Canada
<https://ca.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page?uselang=en>, national chapter