> ​ WWII is not an universal truth. If some small country claim the Nazis
> was
> the good guys, then they are simply wrong.

​No even thats not entirely true for some countries WWII in Europe was foot
note, for others WWII was the trigger for escaping colonial rule. Languages
related to individual cultures do have different perspectives on events
​even on en.wp some FA can tend to have bias to US/UK perspective on
events. There is no one truth for history its all about perspectives,
about the significance of differing events, and the impact those events had.

Even when it comes to less disputed topics like biota there can
differences, take Kangaroo there is referred to an Aboriginal Australian
word but in reality there are over 300 different Australian Languages and
each has their own name for a kangaroo.  They each also have different
knowledge and information simply because of the different environmental
conditions.

Paid translations is not the ideal format, it even has flaws if money is to
be spent then making tools and support projects that enable translations.
Translations risk being interpreted at paternalism with a colonial language
deciding how an indigenous language should speak about a subject.

On 27 February 2018 at 17:40, John Erling Blad <jeb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> WWII is not an universal truth. If some small country claim the Nazis was
> the good guys, then they are simply wrong.
>
> Yes there are a lot of projects where information diverge, but usually that
> is because someone added material that somehow seems more appropriate for
> readers in that specific language. Although sometimes the content is really
> wrong, and that happen on all projects.
>

> On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 12:51 PM, Gerard Meijssen <
> gerard.meijs...@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
> > Hoi,
> > I have been involved in a translation project with professional
> translators
> > translating featured articles of the English Wikipedia. The choice for
> > featured articles was done because we expected that the content would not
> > be in dispute. We found different. Several of the translated articles
> were
> > not accepted.. one of them was about World War II.
> >
> > I have also toyed with the idea of content that is not available in the
> > language of a Wikipedia (including English). Translation is one solution
> an
> > other solution is generating basic information from the data available at
> > Wikidata. The benefit is not only to our readers; they will at least be
> > informed up to a point and another benefit will be the quality of the
> > Wikipedia involved. One problem that will be fixed is the one of false
> > friends, when red links are linked to Wikidata, the information provided
> > will always be implicitly correct. Another possibility is to provide the
> > text of a sister Wikipedia.
> >
> > We can do a better job by providing the sum of all knowledge that is
> > available to us.
> > Thanks,
> >       GerardM
> >
> > On 25 February 2018 at 15:16, John Erling Blad <jeb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Sorry, but this does not make sense. The core articles apply globally.
> > > There will although be articles in additions to a list of core
> articles,
> > > but I don't try to advocate any of those lists as the one and only
> list.
> > > Actually I have toyed with an idea of automatically create a list of
> core
> > > articles, and that would identify important articles no matter if they
> > are
> > > from a big western language or a minority language.
> > >
> > > The main problem is NOT that minority languages should have articles
> > about
> > > the major cities and important philosophers, *the main problem is that
> > > minor languages can't get started because they lack content*!

> [...]

GN.
Noongarpedia: https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/nys/Main_Page
Out now: A.Gaynor, P. Newman and P. Jennings (eds.), *Never Again:
Reflections on Environmental Responsibility after Roe 8*, UWAP, 2017.  Order
here
<https://uwap.uwa.edu.au/products/never-again-reflections-on-environmental-responsibility-after-roe-8>
.