Hi Chris,

That is precisely what concerns me the most: That the system seems to be
designed to not bring significant changes to the current situation, by
assumedly being focused on what is already done, and the way it was done.

I am part of a Wikimedia group of communities that only has "emerging
communities" and countries where Wikimedia penetration approaches zero,
despite being one of the largest in the world. When I read "Our focus was
indeed on the organized part of the movement, and then to work with the
Working Groups on getting the message to the project communities and to
those who would be interested in such discussions and enrich them.", I read
"Wikimedia First World" designing strategies and approaches for "Wikimedia
3rd World", most probably based on their own experiences. If that approach
has failed here in the last 17 years, why would it be bringing something
new now? It's ironic that at the same time we had that wonderful
"Decolonizing the Internet" conference in Wikimania, we are faced with this
kind of "colonial" approach.

I can't help but feeling that Strategy approach do not includes us, not
resonates in any visible way among our communities. That was pretty much
evident in the last round of Strategy discussions that was being published
in our Village Pump, at the Portuguese Wikipedia, where the interaction of
the community was minimal. Everybody I talked to perceived it as something
alien to our reality, about which there was nothing to say at all.

It may be a wonderful set of Strategy Working Groups for many things, but
I'm not holding my breath waiting for it to bring any significant guidance
that could help us changing our reality.

All the best,

Paulo