Hi Anne,

On 23 Jul 2018, at 19.24, Anne Gomez
<ago...@wikimedia.org<mailto:ago...@wikimedia.org>> wrote:
Personally, I see the New Readers efforts as a step in that direction, and
not the end goal. We're working on bringing more people to understanding
Wikipedia/Wikimedia with the hope that they'll contribute down the line...
but, in my opinion, we can't expect people to contribute if they don't
visit our sites or understand the values and structures we have built to
support building knowledge.

Fair enough. I am just afraid that people who are from the beginning invited to
be a “reader”, called “readers”, not having “edit” -button, not getting the
full Wikipedia -experience, will not get the “values and structure”, either.
For them Wikipedia will be a free encyclopedia, not the free encyclopedia that
anyone can edit.

I think the message for the people using the offline Wikipedia should be
something like that we are really, really sorry that at this point of time we
can only provide you access to read the content, but we are working hard to
make it possible that your knowledge, in your own languages will be part of the
"sum of all knowledge”. :-)

Best regards,

- Teemu