The way I'm making sense of the timeline is:

Last summer the Board remembered that the ASBS was coming up (in among all
their conversations about the strategy). Probably in July they discussed it
for the first time and they asked AffCom to look at a way of including User
Groups. At the November meeting they looked at AffCom's recommendation and
decided not to accept it 'as is' but to leave the door open to other
solutions. They then started the formal community consultation. At the
January meeting they adopted the still very open proposals they'd consulted
on.

Personally I would have preferred the Board to consult in public back in
July rather than just consulting AffCom at that point, then we might be 3
months in advance. And I expressed my reservations about this change, so
did many other people. But it's the job of any board to make decisions, and
in this case it seems they felt there were good reasons for going ahead in
spite of the objections raised - and to be fair the voices on the Meta page
were a relatively narrow slice of the overall Wikimedia community.

To those who still have concerns, there is plenty of space to still design
a process that meets them.

And if this issue makes people have wider thoughts about the role of
affiliates and the WMF, please hold onto them, because there is much more
movement strategy thinking coming up in the run up to the Wikimedia Summit,
and the strategy process is probably going to work on a scale that makes
this issue seem insignificant.

Thanks,

Chris