The very smart Mr. Lih sayeth:

I have been a fan of the times Wikinews did original interviews with
notable folks [1] so this is perhaps a sustainable niche. But as a direct
news wire competitor to AP, Reuters or AFP, no.

[1]
https://en.m.wikinews.org/wiki/Shimon_Peres_discusses_the_future_of_Israel

Me too.  In fact, I think this is something that Wikinews has always done
very well.  It also strikes me as an excellent, and quite functional, use
for a Wiki.  A wikivoices or wiki-interviews type project would be a fine
addition to the ecosystem, imho.  And it is very reasonable to think that
given its success in this area, Wikinews could very easily pivot to fill
that spot.

But a news competitor to traditional news outlets?  Nope, that it isn't.

Philippe