I'm not in Kazakhstan and am not in directly touch with any of
wikimedians there, so I don't know their position.

However, I'm not sure how much freedom they have in expressing their
honest opinion about this publicly. Simply because it is always a
pros-and-cons calculation to criticise your local goverment in such
situations.