Maybe we can (as a movement) can invest more of our resources in the
development of video conferencing and filming the presentations. Most
volunteers are simple users, the are not necessarily computer techs, which
means that we need to develop a "plug-and-play" method of participating.
That been said, I am much more in favor of reducing the number of
chapter-level staff and EDs who participate in Wikimania conferences
(whereas the attendance of top-level WMF staff should be expected). The
different Wikimedia projects are volunteer based projects, and the annual
(or bi-annual) Wikimania conferences should be world-wide get-togethers of
Wikimedia volunteers.

Staff is staff. When we send our employees around the World for these
different conferences, we are not being very efficient. It would be far
better to have them video-conference instead of spending hours or days in
transport time, as well as food and lodging. Volunteers usually go on their
vacation time.

The Wikimedia movement as a whole really needs to get some expertise when
it comes to videoconferencing using open source solutions (as opposed to
proprietary software solutions). A good place to start would be with the
staff since we can choose what type of software we want, and our employees
will then learn to use it. It will then be a lot easier for the volunteers
to do the same.

Best regards
Gabe