I have a few comments.

While I appreciate the sentiment, I wouldn't have put the
wikimediafoundation.org domain "on strike", just as I wouldn't have put a
government agency's website "on strike". I think that some discussion of
climate change would be fine, but I think that WMF's action here is
somewhat strange.

I think that asking about the climate impact of staff travel is fine.
However, I would also include questions about travel for Wikimedia events
more broadly. I believe that the WMF Board has indicated support for trying
to reduce the Wikiverse's contributions to climate change. As has been
mentioned in this thread, WMF released a report yesterday
<https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2019-September/093519.html>
on the subject of sustainability. While I have not read it, I think that
measuring and attempting to reduce reduce negative environmental impacts
from Wikimedia activities is good, including negative environmental impacts
from travel. However, I also think that there are some benefits to morale
and communications from in person meetings, so I would be reluctant to
eliminate travel and conferences entirely.

I think that it's fine to ask whether WMF senior management is practicing
what they preach. However, Fae, I feel that your tone in this thread is
excessively harsh on this point. I think that you could ask very similar
questions with a tone that is calmer.

On the subject of environmental sustainability, my main concern at this
time is the banner on the WMF website which I feel is somewhat weird and is
inconsistent with WMF's goal of being "essential infrastructure". Do we
want "essential infrastructure" to go on strike, particularly when that
infrastructure is supposed to be for an organization that provides public
service and supports the community in publishing reliable scientific
information? I think not. However, I think that the banner is regrettably
consistent with the series of surprising decisions from WMF in the past few
months. That is, to me, the most concerning element in all of this. If WMF
wants to be a public service infrastructure provider then I think that it
should act like one.

Pine