On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 1:18 AM Gregory Varnum <gvar...@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> Having said that, we agree with some of the criticisms you have raised. We
> had understood the Earth Day Live campaign to be both global and
> apolitical. However, we agree that the final campaign was both more
> US-centric and more political than we had understood in advance. The banner
> is no longer running, and in the future we will do more thorough due
> diligence.

Will that due diligence include advance notice to the community?  In this
case, the Phabricator task, <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T250508>,
appears to have been opened the same day that the banner was to be
deployed, meaning that nobody had any chance to voice concerns before it
went live.  For banners on the projects, we have <
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/CentralNotice/Calendar>.  I am not saying
that every change to wikimediafoundation.org needs to be screened in
advance, of course, but I think we should avoid keeping "campaign" banners
(even those which aren't expected to be controversial) hidden away until
the last minute.

Emufarmers