From: Wikimedia-l [mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf
Of Asaf Bartov
Sent: 10 September 2020 11:07
To: Wikimedia Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Moderation notice

Indeed, there is a potential conflict of interest here.  This is why I
strongly tend to leniency, *especially* when unacceptable discourse
coincides with criticism of the Foundation.  In this case, we received
requests from two list subscribers to moderate Dan.  We did so, while
underscoring that it was *not* for criticizing the Foundation.

I think I have something of a track record of supporting open debate and of
encouraging and engaging with criticism of the Foundation.  I think there
is indeed plenty to criticize; the Foundation is far from flawless.

But people don't have to endure coarse language and vitriol at the same
time.  By all means, express disappointment, lack of confidence, suspicion,
whatever, but do it in a civil manner.  Dan can continue to do as well, of
course. I have already let one message of this through moderation.

All that said, it would of course have been better if we had a couple of
list-admins more, without ties to the Foundation, so perhaps it is time to
recruit them.  Is anyone interested?

   A.

https://www.avg.com