On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 3:36 PM Joseph Seddon <josephsed...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe options are going to be explored for sustainability but right now
> legally speaking the US is the best jurisdiction for hosting us now

Certainly.

> and the foreseeable future.

I can't foresee the future. But Trump's first term in office is very
troubling. Relentless attacks on journalists, escalation of political
violence, attempts to undermine Section 230 protections, attempts to
remove apps from app stores by Executive Order, etc.  -- checked by a
judiciary that's increasingly aligned with the Trump agenda. That's
the United States today. From this we can extrapolate plausible
scenarios in which the question where to locate Wikimedia's core
assets could become the single most urgent strategic question the
movement faces.

I hope that some preliminary contingency plans exist or are being
developed, and I'm sure that the movement-wide debate will widen if
the US continues its downward slide into authoritarianism.

Erik