Hello, all.

I’m writing to update you all on an emerging human rights concern related
to the invasion of Ukraine. We are concerned that an effort is being made
to identify Wikipedia editors whose activities are seen as opposing the
Russian narrative of the war.

I wanted to let you know that we are aware, we are monitoring, and we are
acting in various ways already. While we cannot discuss the details for the
safety of all involved, over a year ago, we hired a Human Rights Lead
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Human_Rights_Team> with experience in
individual safety to help us with such situations. This includes
partnerships with allied organizations experienced in human rights
interventions as well as connecting with appropriate community groups and
functionaries to provide safety support. We care about the safety of
Wikimedians, and I know that you do, too. We have heard as much from many
of you directly.

I want to take this opportunity to raise your awareness of the need to
protect yourselves and each other online. It’s such a cliche that I’m
almost hesitant to write it, but in this world, sharing information is
sometimes a radical act. Because of this, we ask you all to please be aware
of what information you share about yourself on Wikimedia platforms and how
your Wikimedia activities can be connected to your personal identity. Some
Wikimedians have chosen to operate transparently. Others have chosen to
operate under pseudonyms. Whatever path you’ve chosen, there are best
practices for your personal protection. Some guidance has been gathered
here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Voices_under_Threat

At the same time as I share these recommendations, I want to firmly assert
that all who try to get people vital information in times of crisis -
whether Wikimedian or otherwise - should be celebrated. At the core of our
movement is the belief that knowledge belongs to everyone, and the
Foundation is firmly against efforts by anyone to stand in the way of the
flow of verifiable information in whatever forum it is shared. I believe,
as is the way with all Wikimedians, that the path to a better world is to
ensure people everywhere have access to knowledge, and that we, as
collective societies, should provide them the tools to assess the accuracy
of the information they encounter. Censorship is not the solution.

If you have information to share about this situation or about other
potential threats of persecution to the safety of Wikimedia volunteers due
to their good faith contributions to the projects, please share with
talktohumanrig...@wikimedia.org. The team is quite busy and may not be able
to respond to all communications because of that, but they do read them,
and your emails do matter.

I wish the best for all of you who read this and for all seekers of
information and sharers of information in Ukraine, Russia, Belarus, and
beyond. We will share updates of the situation here as we are able within
the framework of prioritizing people’s safety. In the meantime, I’d like to
take the opportunity to highlight the efforts of some Wikimedians related
to the invasion of Ukraine
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2022_Russian_invasion_of_Ukraine>.

Warm regards,

Maggie