Given that the actual appointment is about a year ago, it may make sense to
shift this conversation and these great questions into a more general
domain: what is the current procedure the WMF follows when encountering a
vacancy for an expert board member?

I imagine we could rephrase some of these questions into more general
language (although the original questions from Scann may still be valuable):

- What does the search strategy look like, and is the movement engaged in
it? How? (I would add the same question for the other stakeholders,
including staff)
- How are the elements of the ideal profile determined (e.g. US vs
worldwide, social good vs commercial, etc)
- To what extent are demographic criteria used in setting a profile for a
specific recruitment (rather than at the high level 'we want to be diverse')

I think we could add to that how the WMF does a 'background check' (in the
broadest sense possible), although I doubt everything we discussed would
always come up. But in two or three occasions over the past years we have
had appointments result in some controversy, and it would be interesting to
better understand whether WMF was aware but didn't consider it important
enough, whether WMF feels that these issues are not relevant enough to
begin with or whether WMF would have expected to have been aware, but
wasn't.

I realize that board appointments like this are rare events, and it's hard
to really analyze them for that reason. Each appointment has its own
quirks, and I'm pretty sure nothing you'll say or do will truly satisfy the
entire community. I personally don't think it's realistic to pre-announce
any appointment to the community before formalizing, but it would also be
interesting to think about how we can leverage the community better. I'm
thinking about identifying specific experts, committees or focus groups
(but I'm confident there's more ways available). And maybe the WMF is
already doing all this and we're just under-appreciating it!

All in all, these questions don't necessarily have to reflect on Luis'
appointment - they are interesting in their own right.

Lodewijk