Hello, all.

I’m Maggie Dennis. I’m the VP who oversees our human rights team in its
work. Reiterating what the team previously said about not being able to
discuss particular situations, I can disclose a little more general points
about our approach as you pose, LW, and, I hope, address some of your
concerns, Lodewijk.

It’s devastating when community members face targeting for their dedication
to supporting free knowledge. This matters a lot to me, to my team, and to
all the Foundation. I know it matters to you as well.

The Wikimedia Foundation does resource this important work. We have
partners in this field with whom we collaborate closely. Our human rights
team possesses extensive experience in addressing such issues and also
maintains strong connections with NGOs specializing in these areas. We
regularly engage with these organizations on both general matters and
specific cases.

Every situation in which a community member is targeted is unique, and we
recognize the need for specialized responses and support. Volunteer
well-being is our priority, and we are committed to providing the right
assistance for each case. While we believe in the importance of public
discourse and transparency, safety always takes precedence. In some
instances, the Foundation has found it appropriate to speak publicly to
address these challenges and have done so. In others, we may be advised to
handle matters differently.

In terms of some Wikimedians who might have concerns whether our strategy
is the right one, I fully respect that there must be. Because each case is
different and frequently these situations are highly complex, we know that
even different expert organizations might rank the risk and the right
response of a specific situation differently. We have sometimes sought
multiple opinions on a case. At the end of the day, we collaborate closely
with relevant groups on our response to ensure the safety and well-being of
individuals affected and the broader community members who could be
impacted. We do the best we can to uphold the principles of free knowledge
while prioritizing safety for everyone.

While I can’t discuss specific cases, I am always happy to talk about
general matters of policy and approach in my quarterly community
conversations. We will also answer questions to the extent that we believe
we safely can that are posed about the team’s work to
talktohumanrig...@wikimedia.org. Depending on the case,the human rights
team may provide ways to help or avenues to connect with  organizations who
are supporting. They may also be able to advise when silence is regarded as
the best response. (There are some risks to being too open about who we
work with and how we work that we need to consider every time.)

People can read more generally about the human rights team
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Human_Rights_Team> here.

While this is not my area of focus in my role at the Foundation, I also
want to generally call out that the Foundation also conducts human rights
advocacy routinely in regards to legislation. Our Global Advocacy
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global_Advocacy> team not only meets with
legislators around the world to fight for the rights that keep free
knowledge free, but also considers and guides our work by providing
proactive human rights assessments and policy development, such as the Human
Rights Policy
<https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Policy:Human_Rights_Policy>.

Best regards,

Maggie

On Thu, Oct 5, 2023 at 3:14 AM Lauren Worden <laurenworde...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear WMF Human Rights Team:
>
> I would like some clarification on your statement below. In
> particular, does your stated approach allow you to follow the best
> practices described at
> https://freedomhouse.org/2023/summit-for-democracy-political-prisoners
> to, e.g., "meet regularly with family members of political prisoners,
> advocacy groups, and media outlets and journalists, in public and in
> private, in their efforts to secure an individual’s release"?
>
> The literature review at
> https://opendocs.ids.ac.uk/opendocs/handle/20.500.12413/17277 states:
> "The theoretical and empirical literature attributes several potential
> roles to civil society in [security sector and justice reform]. These
> include making security and justice institutions accountable,
> mobilising a range of social groups for reform, publicising abuses and
> advocating for reform, offering technical expertise, and improving
> security-citizen relations."
>
> If the Foundation staff has prohibited itself from engaging with the
> public on freeing jailed wikipedians, orchestrating letter writing
> campaigns, or coordinating with other NGOs and government agencies,
> such as those Andreas has described as having no record of the
> imprisoned Arabic Wikipedia administrators, then I would hope that the
> CEO or Trustees would step in immediately to rectify any internal
> policies such that best practices can be upheld.
>
> -LW
>

> On Tue, Oct 3, 2023 at 3:51 PM WMF Human Rights
> <talktohumanrig...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> >
> > In the interest of safeguarding confidential information and ensuring
> the safety of our community members, the Foundation will not publicly
> disclose details regarding human rights cases. The Human Rights Team
> recently updated its meta page to clarify this approach. Our primary
> concern is to uphold the safety and privacy of everyone involved. At the
> same time, our inability to discuss these matters should not be read as
> inaction. We care deeply about volunteer safety and our role, more
> generally, involves different levels of internal support, wider advocacy
> and partnerships with others depending on the circumstances of an event.
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 3, 2023 at 6:06 AM Andreas Kolbe <jayen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Let's put it a different way then:
> >>
> >> Is anyone at the WMF doing anything in support of the two jailed Saudi
> Wikimedians, be it liaising with international or regional human rights
> organisations, the US State Department, briefing journalists so the wider
> public is aware of the situation, or anything else to make sure Osama and
> Ziyad aren't forgotten about as they start (by my calculation) their fourth
> year in jail?
> >>
> >> I am asking because the press reports published at the start of this
> year do not seem to have led to any significant coverage of the two
> Wikimedians' plight on the websites of major human rights organisations.
> [...]

Maggie Dennis
She/her/hers
Vice President, Community Resilience & Sustainability
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.