"Have there been any recent cases where community voices were mobilized to
contribute to national or international campaigns for someone's release?"

We organized Wikipedia editing events in 2011-12 for Aaron Swartz. Events
were not so documented back then, but there were wiki meetups in the United
States before and after his death.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Swartz

In 2016-17 we did events for Bassell, not knowing that he had already
passed. Here is some of what I can find but the events were organized in
anticipation of his release.
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Bassel_Khartabil
https://wikimania2017.wikimedia.org/wiki/Editathon_for_Bassel
https://www.wired.com/story/free-bassel-essay/

For both of these, there was a lot of online and in-person Wikimedia
activism in response to the legal accusations against them. I do not know
if we ever had storytelling or journalism documenting that though.

Lane Rasberry
user:bluerasberry
🟦🌀💙🌀🟦